Thursday, June 28, 2007

what's for dinner?

I hope you enjoy my new series called "What's for Dinner?" I have had so many friends and family ask me how I manage to create such special and creative meals at least five nights a week. Well, truthfully, I have an advantage, because for me, cooking is no chore, it's a privilege to be able to create something as basic and necessary as a meal, and feel good about it and make it precious. But still, even with that gift, it can sometimes get difficult to keep it exciting. So, like everything worthwhile, it does take effort. But I don't mind. So here you will find how I do it, basic recipes and suggestions to keep you going during those tedious moments during the week. And...done economically.

June 26th Tuesday's What's For Dinner?

Chicken and Sausage Spaghetti

Background: yesterday I made a chicken dish with italian dressing and tomato sauce, tomato soup, garlic, onions and bell peppers. I put whole pieces of chicken inside seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika and a touch of cayenne pepper. I let it cook until done and the chicken was falling off the bone. I served it over yellow rice with green beans and fried ripe plantains for a spanish flair.
Tonight, I am taking the remainder of the sauce, which has been blessed by bits of chicken mixed in, adding cooked italian sausage and fresh basil, pouring it over some spaghetti noodles and viola...another happy husband.
Don't forget the wine. We are having leftover wine, a bit of riesling for my spicy sauce and some south african chardonnay, well, because it's here and it's fruity. Don't look to me for the obvious pairing. I was trained by the Aussies. Eat what you like and drink what you like! But for purists, a nice california merlot, aussie shiraz or for summer a pinot noir.
Cheers.
p.s.
interpret these recipes anyway you like. substitute spaghetti for penne pasta, smoked paprika for regular or hot paprika, chicken for leftover duck...mmm.

No comments: